Dubai - The Burj Khalifa World’s Tallest Tower
by Holiday Rental Centre Team
On 4th January 2010, the fourth anniversary of the accession of His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice-President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, the whole world witnessed the opening of “The Burj Khalifa”, developed by Emaar Properties.
Mohamed Alabbar, Chairman, Emaar Properties, said "Sheikh Mohammed inspired us to build Burj Dubai as the world's tallest building. When we initially planned Burj Khalifa, it was only a 90-storey structure. On presenting the blueprint to His Highness, he asked us a simple question: 'Why stop there?' That question was the inspiration for us to build the tallest tower in the world".
The Burj Khalifa has been confirmed as 828m high and is set to be the tallest building in the world for a long time to come.
The world's highest observation deck on 124th floor is open to the public for 30-minute intervals, providing spectacular panoramic views of the coast and The World islands. It is reported that on a clear day Abu Dhabi and even Iran is visible.
The timing of the opening couldn't have been better for Dubai. The world is gradually coming out of recession, and the new Burj Khalifa gives tourists another reason to hit the shiny emirate. In true Dubai style, the opening was spectacular display of fireworks in synchronisation with the worlds largest water fountain.
In March 2010, the first Armani Hotel is expected to open which occupies the lowest eight floors with suites on levels 38 and 39 providing a further boost to Dubai’s tourism.
The Burj Khalifa is accessible from the recently opened Dubai Metro adjacent to Sheikh Zayed Road.
Burj Khalifa Facts:
- Tallest building in the world at 828 metres, surpassing Taipei 101 in Taiwan (508m).
- Tallest man-made structure in the world, beyond the KVLY-TV mast in North Dakota, USA (628.8m)
- Tallest free-standing structure in the world, breaking the 31-year-old record of CN Tower, (553.33m)
- Largest number of storeys in the world – over 160
- Highest occupied floor: level 160
- Highest outdoor observation deck: level 124
- World record for vertical concrete pumping – over 600m
- Tallest service elevator in the world – 504m metres, more than the height of Taipei 101 (448m ) and almost one-and-a-half times that of the Empire State Building in New York (381m)
- Record for the highest installation of an aluminium and glass façade
- World's highest swimming pool on level 76 (over 260m)
Professor Basil Al Bustani Chief Economic Advisor, Department of Economic Development said “The opening of the Burj Khalifa is a symbol of success amid challenging economic conditions that the whole world has suffered from. This achievement has become a reality despite all the difficulties that affected the economies of the world. Therefore I consider the Burj Khalifa is exceptional in both our Arab region and the world.”
Book your apartments, villas and holiday rentals in Dubai now and see the stunning Burj Khalifa, the tallest tower in the world!
The Holiday Rental Centre team are UK based travel writers, specialising in holiday destinations worldwide. They travel and assist in the management of Holiday Rental Centre which forms an increasing collection of articles, top-tips and travel resources.
Burj Khalifa Grand Opening Video
Back to holiday rentals in Dubai